WHAT IS BOTOX FOR SWEATING?
Botox, the brand name for botulinum toxin, is an injectable medication that’s most well-known for wrinkle-smoothing. But Botox is also great at stopping armpit sweat. Botox can decrease underarm moisture by over 80%. Dryness from Botox Injections typically lasts between three to 12 months.
Your body odor will also decrease. The bad smell from sweaty armpits is made by bacteria that thrive in warm, moist places. Eliminate the moisture and the body odor goes away also.
But getting underarm Botox doesn’t mean you’re completely free of wearing deodorant or antiperspirant. The goal of Botox injections is to reduce excessive sweating to a normal level. Most people who get Botox for Sweating still have a little bit of sweating and may find they need deodorant or antiperspirant.
Botox is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) of the underarms. Doctors also use it for other abnormally sweaty areas of the body.
You should see an improvement in your excessive sweating in about three to four days. The full, excessive sweating reduction effects happen at around two weeks.
WHAT IS HYPERHIDROSIS?
The medical term for “excessive sweating” is “hyperhidrosis.” The word “hidrosis” means sweating, from the Greek word for sweat. In the world of medicine, “hyper” means more than normal, or excessive.
On a hot day or a strenuous workout, sweat can be a positive. Beads of sweat on your skin cool the body as the sweat reduces the heat of your skin as it evaporates. However, perspiration can occur to such an extent, and with such regularity, that is far beyond normal.
People with hyperhidrosis may experience a variety of symptoms, including:
- Sweaty feet
- Heavy underarm sweating, even when inactive
- Beading perspiration on the face or forehead
- Sweating after waking from sleep
- Sweaty palms
- Recurring skin infections such as athletes foot
- White or peeling skin
IS HYPERHIDROSIS A SIGN THAT I’M ILL?
Hyperhidrosis is not necessarily a sign of one being ill. Most who experience it are healthy in other respects. Hyperhidrosis often first develops during childhood or adolescence. In these cases, Hyperhidrosis is referred to as “primary” hyperhidrosis.
“Secondary” hyperhidrosis is when excess sweating is occurring as the result of some other underlying factor. It could be a reaction to a medicine or a supplement, or another condition. Excessive sweating can also be caused by obesity, diabetes, some types of injuries or trauma, menopause, frostbite, gout, or even by a tumor.
You would have discovered the underlying condition through medical testing if you have been affected by one of these conditions. If you have not been tested, it is important to identify the root cause. If your problem is fairly recent and has only developed in adulthood, discuss this with us during your consultation.
WHAT IS BOTOX FOR HYPERHIDROSIS?
BOTOX is well known for its use in addressing cosmetic issues. Botox has also been used in treating hyperhidrosis. Botox has been approved by the FDA as a treatment for excessive underarm sweating. Excessive underarm sweating is known as “axillary hyperhidrosis.” (The word “axillary” means “relating to the armpit.”)
BOTOX has also been used to address excessive sweating of the feet, hands, face, and head. In the injected body areas, it blocks the chemical messages that cause the body to produce sweat.
IS BOTOX FOR SWEATING RIGHT FOR ME?
As with any medical procedure, you must be in good general health and not experiencing any problems that could interfere with the success or safety of the treatment. This can be determined easily through a consultation with our cosmetic specialist.
If your hyperhidrosis is being caused by an underlying condition that should be addressed by something other than a BOTOX injection, your cosmetic specialist can offer guidance regarding what action should be taken next in these cases.
WHAT KIND OF RESULTS CAN I EXPECT FOR BOTOX FOR SWEATING TREATMENT?
Botox injections have been found to be very effective in reducing excessive sweating, with effects lasting up to six months. It has been used to treat excessive sweating in the hands and feet also, but only a full evaluation will reveal if the treatment will be effective in reducing this problem.
HOW MANY TIMES WILL I NEED TO BE TREATED FOR BOTOX FOR SWEATING?
A single BOTOX treatment will not eliminate hyperhidrosis permanently. The duration between treatments will vary from individual to individual. Depending on the body area being treated, the results can last for periods ranging from four months to over a year.
BOTOX FOR SWEATING
BOTOX FOR SWEATING FAQ
SANDIA SKIN + FACE
Tonya is amazing!! She made me feel so comfortable and really listened to my concerns about my skin. She really cares and knows what she is doing. I wouldn’t go anywhere else!! I was concerned my first appointment but I just had my third and I can say it’s so worth it!!! Botox has been an incredible experience and I’m so happy to have tried it, I’m so much happier with my appearance and it looks incredibly natural. I’ve included before and after photos, neither photo is filtered or edited, you can see how makeup would collect in my forehead, and how the after it’s smooth and looks so lovely. It doesn’t feel weird or like I can’t move my muscles at all, it feels super natural. One of my biggest concerns was that I wouldn’t be able to emote with Botox but that’s just not true at all. I feel so confident and that is thanks to Tonya!
September 13, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Getting botox at Sandia Skin & Face was the best decision I've ever made. No more lines on my forehead 🙂
September 4, 2021
The office staff is super accommodating and helpful, and Dr. Tuggle and Tonya Tuggle are both wonderful at what they do. I have had multiple procedures/treatments here over the years and highly recommend them. I never feel uncomfortable or judged, which is huge when deciding on cosmetic procedures. I also never felt pressured into anything and always felt informed about all of my decisions. They have great seasonal specials on fillers, etc!
May 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Dr. Tonya Tuggle is a true professional and such a nice person. I highly recommend her and Sandia Skin.
September 13, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality Tonya really takes the time to listen to your concerns and is very accommodating. Results were fast and I love them. I highly recommend them.
April 4, 2021
How amazing! I can’t believe what Tonya has done for me! She took excellent care of me! My first time ever for Botox and Lip Filler. I’m 58 feeling like 30 again! Everyone deserves this! I will be back! My crows are gone. My lipstick goes on smooth with no bleeds. You are totally amazing Tonya! Thank you again ! Tonya was so professional and went over everything in detail with me! Totally amazing place! Treat yourself! We all deserve to look great and feel great! ❤️
April 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality Easy to book online. Seamless appointment and did not feel rushed. Tonya explained thoroughly and made sure i had the best results for botox and minimizing my frown line. Highly recommend!
September 20, 2021
I recently relocated from CA. I was nervous to find a new place for lip fillers after going to the same person for several years. Tonya was absolutely amazing! She is extremely knowledgeable and instantly made me feel comfortable. Tonya exceeded my expectations. I’ve received so many compliments from friends and family. The entire staff were friendly and professional. I will definitely become a loyal client. Thank you Tonya and team!!!
May 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value First time getting Botox, I was very nervous. They ARE super friendly. They explained everything to me also answered all of my questions. Tonya is the BEST!!! she is so friendly and professional. I totally recommend this place to get Botox. THE BEST IN ABQ
July 4, 2021
BOTOX FOR SWEATING PROCEDURE PREP
Before your treatment session, our specialist will discuss what to expect during your treatment. However, it is helpful to remember that there are a few things to take into consideration before your session:
- At least three to four days before your procedure, discontinue anti-inflammatory medications.
- One to two weeks before your procedure, discontinue any blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins.
- One to two weeks before your procedure, discontinue systematic steroids
- At least one month before your procedure, stop steroid injections
- On the day of your procedure, eat a full, healthy breakfast and be sure to drink plenty of water
- Please be advised that if you take chronic oral steroids, a discontinuation plan will need to be discussed with your primary care provider as abrupt stoppage may cause side effects.
BOTOX FOR SWEATING AFTERCARE
After your treatment session, we recommend that all patients rest on the day of their procedure. We advise limited use of the treatment area for the next two days, but some movement is encouraged. Limited use helps the joint recover as the treatment is absorbed by the area’s surrounding tissues.
0 – 3 days post-procedure guidelines.
- After your treatment, there is a chance you’ll experience some mild to moderate pain or discomfort at the treatment site. Discomfort is normal, and it is a sign that your body is healing as it adjusts to the treatment.
- It is best to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water to help promote healing.
- You mustn’t take ANY medications following your procedure unless specifically directed otherwise by a physician. NO medicine is a must because any drug can affect the healing process or other adverse effects.
Therefore, discontinue use of any of these medications post-procedure for best results:
- Anti-inflammatory medications for at least two weeks post-procedure
- Blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins for 3-4 days post-procedure
- Systematic steroids for two weeks post-procedure
- Other important guidelines to follow after your procedure are:
- Avoid applying ice or heat to the injection site for the first 72 hours post-procedure
- Don’t take a hot bath or go to a sauna for the first few days post-procedure
- Avoid consumption of any alcoholic beverages for the first week post-procedure
- Avoid showering for the first 24 hours following your procedure
- Limit caffeine consumption for the first week post-procedure
- Avoid smoking
3 – 14 days post-procedure guidelines.
- At this point in your healing, you should gradually increase your daily activities
- 3 to 14 days is also when you can begin exercises. Proper exercise is a vital part of long-term results, and we can help you determine which exercises are best suited for your needs before your procedure.
- Ice can be applied 3-4 times a day for 15-20 minutes as needed for comfort
- Anti-inflammatory medications (such as Tylenol) can be taken to help manage any residual pain at this time, take as directed
- Continue to avoid alcoholic beverages, smoking, or excessive amounts of caffeine
3 – 4 weeks post-procedure guidelines.
- We highly encourage you to begin physical therapy to aid in your long-term healing and continued recovery at this point in your healing.
- A follow-up appointment will be made for you to meet with our physician to review your healing process. You must keep this follow-up visit even if your recovery is going well.
- If there are any adjustments to your customized treatment plan, this is when our physician will be able to make those decisions
Registered Nurse Practitioner Tonya Tuggle is Albuquerque’s choice for those who want to keep their youthful appearance and healthy glow. Tonya is passionate about educating patients on preventative skin care and providing non-surgical maintenance for graceful aging. We can’t wait to meet you!