WHAT IS EYELID SURGERY – EYELID LIFT – EYELIFT – BLEPHAROPLASTY?
Eyelid surgery, also called eyelift, eyelid lift, or blepharoplasty, is the surgical removal of excess skin, muscle, and fat in the upper or lower eyelids. Many people seek eyelid surgery for cosmetic reasons. Eyelid surgery can reduce sagging and puffiness in the eyelids and create a more rested and rejuvenated appearance.
More than any other facial feature, it’s our eyes that brighten the face and help express a wide range of emotions. People are increasingly turning to eyelid lifts to revitalize the look of tired, aging eyes. This cosmetic surgery can refresh your appearance by reducing under-eye bags, lifting sagging lids, and sculpting your eye contours.
- Puffy Eyelids
- Sagging Skin in Your Upper Eyelids
- Tired Looking Eyes
- Wrinkled Lids
- Heavy or Droopy Upper Lids
- Impaired Vision
WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THE BAGS UNDER MY EYES?
It’s pretty natural for our lower eyelids to become loose and stretch out due to aging and elastic tissue damage caused by sun exposure. Bags under our eyes are caused by fat around the eyeball that pushes out on our loose lower lids. The eyelids stretch from the pressure of the fat, and a bulge develops. As sunlight or room light shines down from above, a shadow is formed under the bulge. It’s this dark shadow that creates a tired, aged look.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING UPPER EYELID SURGERY?
Dr. Tuggle performs eyelid surgery under intravenous sedation or light general anesthesia. For upper eyelid rejuvenation, we use radiosurgery to make tiny, well-hidden incisions along the natural lines of the upper eyelid. Excess skin and occasionally protruding fat and excess muscle is removed using a special laser that prevents bruising. We close the lid with dissolving sutures to minimize discomfort. The stitches are hidden in the natural crease when the eye is open. You can expect only mild swelling and minimal bruising, thanks to the cutting-edge advantage of laser technology.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING LOWER EYELID SURGERY?
The lower lid blepharoplasty was designed to improve the puffy, protruding skin below the eyes. Dr. Tuggle makes a fine incision inside the lower lid with a laser that completely prevents bleeding, bruising, and swelling. He may also make an incision just below the lower eyelashes to remove loose skin from the lower lid and then close it with dissolving sutures. Noticeable bruising usually only occurs when skin is removed along with the fat. The skin heals exceptionally well in the lower lid, and fortunately, there is rarely a noticeable scar line.
EYELID SURGERY AFTERCARE
After eyelid surgeries, most patients are back to their regular routines within a few days, although complete recovery may take a few weeks. Swelling, bruising, and mild discomfort can be a part of the recovery process, but nothing can be alleviated with cold compresses and appropriate medication. Makeup should not be applied to the upper lid or lower lid suture line until two days after suture removal.
To prevent additional swelling, limit strenuous activity for a week after surgery. Feel free to participate in your everyday activities as your bruises subside and feel comfortable with your appearance.
Sometimes the wrinkles around the eyes are etched into the skin and cannot be removed by a blepharoplasty procedure alone. We tailor eyelid lifts to individual patient’s needs to enhance a firmer, more youthful appearance. Adding some additional skin wrinkle treatments, such as laser resurfacing, chemical peel, or home skincare with tretinoin (Retin A), to your procedure may bring you even closer to the brighter, more energetic look you deserve.
We recommend having a brow lift before an eyelid lift to maximize blepharoplasty results if you have low or droopy brows. Removing excess upper eyelid skin in someone with low brows usually causes the brows to appear droopier. You can learn more about brow lifts here.
SANDIA SKIN + FACE
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality Tonya really takes the time to listen to your concerns and is very accommodating. Results were fast and I love them. I highly recommend them.
April 4, 2021
The office staff is super accommodating and helpful, and Dr. Tuggle and Tonya Tuggle are both wonderful at what they do. I have had multiple procedures/treatments here over the years and highly recommend them. I never feel uncomfortable or judged, which is huge when deciding on cosmetic procedures. I also never felt pressured into anything and always felt informed about all of my decisions. They have great seasonal specials on fillers, etc!
May 4, 2021
How amazing! I can’t believe what Tonya has done for me! She took excellent care of me! My first time ever for Botox and Lip Filler. I’m 58 feeling like 30 again! Everyone deserves this! I will be back! My crows are gone. My lipstick goes on smooth with no bleeds. You are totally amazing Tonya! Thank you again ! Tonya was so professional and went over everything in detail with me! Totally amazing place! Treat yourself! We all deserve to look great and feel great! ❤️
April 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value First time getting Botox, I was very nervous. They ARE super friendly. They explained everything to me also answered all of my questions. Tonya is the BEST!!! she is so friendly and professional. I totally recommend this place to get Botox. THE BEST IN ABQ
July 4, 2021
Tonya is amazing!! She made me feel so comfortable and really listened to my concerns about my skin. She really cares and knows what she is doing. I wouldn’t go anywhere else!! I was concerned my first appointment but I just had my third and I can say it’s so worth it!!! Botox has been an incredible experience and I’m so happy to have tried it, I’m so much happier with my appearance and it looks incredibly natural. I’ve included before and after photos, neither photo is filtered or edited, you can see how makeup would collect in my forehead, and how the after it’s smooth and looks so lovely. It doesn’t feel weird or like I can’t move my muscles at all, it feels super natural. One of my biggest concerns was that I wouldn’t be able to emote with Botox but that’s just not true at all. I feel so confident and that is thanks to Tonya!
September 13, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Getting botox at Sandia Skin & Face was the best decision I've ever made. No more lines on my forehead 🙂
September 4, 2021
I recently relocated from CA. I was nervous to find a new place for lip fillers after going to the same person for several years. Tonya was absolutely amazing! She is extremely knowledgeable and instantly made me feel comfortable. Tonya exceeded my expectations. I’ve received so many compliments from friends and family. The entire staff were friendly and professional. I will definitely become a loyal client. Thank you Tonya and team!!!
May 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality Easy to book online. Seamless appointment and did not feel rushed. Tonya explained thoroughly and made sure i had the best results for botox and minimizing my frown line. Highly recommend!
September 20, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Dr. Tonya Tuggle is a true professional and such a nice person. I highly recommend her and Sandia Skin.
September 13, 2021
SANDIA SKIN + FACE
Pre and Post-Operative Instructions for Your Eyelid Surgery
Would you please read these instructions before and after your surgery? Carefully following these guidelines will help you obtain the best possible result. Take this information with you on the day of surgery to begin following the instructions that day. If you have questions, do not hesitate to contact our office. We want you to have a pleasant and enjoyable experience.
Preparing for Eyelid Surgery
● You would need to have an eye/vision exam with an optometrist before having eyelid surgery if you didn’t check your vision last year.
● Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications), Vitamin E, herbal supplements, or medicines containing these compounds and alcohol for two weeks before surgery. Acetaminophen (Tylenol or generic equivalent) and a daily multivitamin are OK.
● Refrain from smoking two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. Nicotine and tobacco smoke delay healing and can result in scarring.
● Avoid sun damage two weeks before surgery. We recommend wearing an SPF 30 or higher.
● Your prescriptions for after surgery (typically an antibiotic and pain med) will be given to you the day of surgery.
● Do not eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight the night before your surgery.
● Would you please arrange for someone to take you home from our surgery center? You will not be allowed to drive or leave alone. Arrange for someone to stay with you for the first 24 hours after surgery
● Make arrangements to stay in the Albuquerque City area on the night of your surgery if you live more than an hour’s drive away.
On the day before Surgery
● On the day before surgery, you will receive a phone call informing you of the exact time to report to our surgery center.
Day of Surgery
● Do not eat or drink anything, including water, the morning of surgery. Essential meds may be taken with a sip of water 1 hour before the surgery appointment.
● Wear loose-fitting clothes. Short-Sleeved Shirt is required.
● Leave all valuables at home; do not wear jewelry.
● Do not wear any facial or eye make-up. Avoid nail polish.
● You may wear glasses but do not wear contact lenses.
● If you wear dentures, keep them in.
● Bring your ID and insurance card with you.
● Iced gauze pads (gauze pads dipped in ice water and wrung out) should be applied to the eyes and cheek for the first 48 hours to minimize swelling and discoloration.
● Keep your head elevated to minimize swelling. A recliner works well, or adding an extra pillow to your bed is adequate.
● You may wash your face. You may shower and wash your hair.
● Wash incisions with Tear-Free Baby Shampoo and apply a light coat of vaseline.
● You may wear contact lenses two to three weeks after surgery.
● Avoid extreme physical activity, including athletic activities and intercourse. You may resume light walking three days after surgery. Aerobic exercise, weight training, heavy lifting, and straining may gradually resume three weeks after surgery.
● Absolutely avoid sun exposure, sun lamps, or tanning beds for six weeks after surgery. Heat may cause your face to swell. We recommend wearing an SPF 30 or higher.
● Don’t be concerned if the eyes show some swelling – this usually resolves within two weeks. In certain patients, it may require six months for all swelling to subside completely.
● Take only medications prescribed by your doctor.
● Makeup may be used 7-10 days after surgery.
DON’T TAKE CHANCES! If you are concerned about anything you consider significant, call us at:
505-291-9600 Mon-Thurs 8-4, Fri 8-12.
Registered Nurse Practitioner Tonya Tuggle is Albuquerque’s choice for those who want to keep their youthful appearance and healthy glow. Tonya is passionate about educating patients on preventative skin care and providing non-surgical maintenance for graceful aging. We can’t wait to meet you!