WHAT IS A LIP FLIP?
A Lip Flip also called a Lip Injection, is a relatively new cosmetic procedure. It gives a person fuller lips with one quick and straightforward treatment. Botox is injected superficially into the Orbicularis Oris Muscle and results in fuller-looking lips while enhancing the profile with an increased outward projection of the lips. This procedure is often combined with Filler and PDO Threads placed at the vermilion border for complete lip enhancement.
HOW IS A LIP FLIP DIFFERENT FROM A LIP FILLER?
Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Fillers like Restylane and Juvederm work by actually adding volume to the lips themselves, and not just to the border of the lip, to achieve an all-around plumper look.
Lip Flips relax the lip muscle to “Flip the Lip Out”, giving your lips the appearance of more volume since more of the pink section of your lips are showing.
HOW LONG CAN I EXPECT A LIP FLIP TO LAST?
The effects of a Lip Flip will last for about two months. Botox typically lasts for approximately three months, but the Lip Flip doesn’t last as long because the Lip Flip involves injections into a muscle that we constantly move throughout the day.
IS GETTING A LIP FLIP WORTHWHILE?
A Lip Flip amplifies the natural shape of your lips, without over-exaggerating, for a natural look. It’s also a less-invasive option for lip enhancement. In fact, it’s considered to be one of the safest and most widely used injectables on a global level. Generally, it’s not as expensive as a lip filler.
DO YOUR LIPS RETURN TO NORMAL AFTER A LIP FLIP?
If Filler is used with Botox, over a few months after the Filler is injected, your lips will slowly decrease in fullness before returning to their original shape.
DOES A LIP FLIP AFFECT ONE’S KISSING TECHNIQUE?
For the first two days after your Botox Lip Flip treatment, we do recommend that patients avoid passionate kisses. Intense kissing can add additional pressure to the lips, negatively impact the lip shape after a Botox Lip Flip procedure.
DOES A LIP FLIP CHANGE YOUR SMILE?
A Lip Flip procedure creates the appearance of a fuller, more round lip by giving the upper lip a “poutier shape” and adding definition to the upper lip line (a.k.a. the vermillion border). Your lip should show a subtle, relaxed fullness, especially when you smile, without adding excess volume or changing the natural shape of your lips.
See our FAQ below. Contact Us with any other questions.
How amazing! I can’t believe what Tonya has done for me! She took excellent care of me! My first time ever for Botox and Lip Filler. I’m 58 feeling like 30 again! Everyone deserves this! I will be back! My crows are gone. My lipstick goes on smooth with no bleeds. You are totally amazing Tonya! Thank you again ! Tonya was so professional and went over everything in detail with me! Totally amazing place! Treat yourself! We all deserve to look great and feel great! ❤️
April 4, 2021
I recently relocated from CA. I was nervous to find a new place for lip fillers after going to the same person for several years. Tonya was absolutely amazing! She is extremely knowledgeable and instantly made me feel comfortable. Tonya exceeded my expectations. I’ve received so many compliments from friends and family. The entire staff were friendly and professional. I will definitely become a loyal client. Thank you Tonya and team!!!
May 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Getting botox at Sandia Skin & Face was the best decision I've ever made. No more lines on my forehead 🙂
September 4, 2021
LIP FLIP PROCEDURE PREP
Before your treatment session, our specialist will discuss what to expect during your treatment. However, it is helpful to remember that there are a few things to take into consideration before your session: (Consult your physicians on these prior to executing)
- Please be advised that if you take chronic oral steroids, a discontinuation plan will need to be discussed with your primary care provider as abrupt stoppage may cause side effects.
- 1 – 2 Months Prior: Stop steroid injections.
- 1 – 2 Weeks Prior:
- Discontinue any blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins.
- Discontinue systematic steroids.
- 4 Days Prior: Discontinue anti-inflammatory medications.
- 2 Days Prior: Avoid topical products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinol, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid, or any “anti-aging” products.
- 24 Hours Prior: Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior.
- On the Day of:
- Eat a full, healthy breakfast and be sure to drink plenty of water
- If you have suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another eruption of cold sores. Please let your us know if you are prone.
- Do not have a Lip Flip if you are:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Are allergic to any ingredients
- Suffer from neurological disorders
- Please inform us if you have any questions prior to your treatment.
LIP FLIP AFTERCARE
After your treatment session, we recommend that all patients rest on the day of their procedure.
- 1 – 2 Hours After:
- Apply an ice pack and Arnica topically—Arnica + Bromelain tablets are both natural supplements to reduce bruising.
- Take acetaminophen to reduce pain as necessary.
- Avoid itching, massaging, or picking around the injection site. Itching is normal and generally disappears within a few hours to a few days. If these symptoms last more than 3 days, please contact our office.
- 2 – 12 Hours After:
- Until the swelling and redness are gone, avoid intense heat in the treated area(s). This includes sunbathing, tanning, saunas, hot tubs, or hot wax.
- To reduce swelling, an antihistamine during the day, such as Zyrtec or Claritin, and Benadryl at night.
- If there is a bump at the injection site, you can massage the area. Depending on the areas treated and the product used, you may feel “firmness.” These areas will soften and settle over time (1-2 weeks).
- Sunscreen and makeup can be applied, and you may use a gentle cleanser on the area.
- 12 – 48 Hours After:
- Avoid drinking alcohol
- Avoid strenuous exercise, as it may result in additional bruising.
- To help alleviate bruising, we recommend taking Arnica or Bromelain, eating some fresh pineapple, and application of ice to the area.
PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY IF YOU:
- Have any fever or chills
- Have discolored blotches in areas not injected
- Have blanching of injected areas
- Notice the area appears red or feels hot to the touch
- Have severe or increasing pain
Registered Nurse Practitioner Tonya Tuggle is Albuquerque’s choice for those who want to keep their youthful appearance and healthy glow. Tonya is passionate about educating patients on preventative skin care and providing non-surgical maintenance for graceful aging. We can’t wait to meet you!