WHAT IS MOLE REMOVAL SURGERY?
Moles are skin growths that range in color and size, and when they are located on your face, they are often unwanted. Thanks to advancements in modern medicine, we can quickly and painlessly remove moles. We use Mole Removal Surgery to remove moles, and we determine the method of removal according to the patient’s age and the location of the mole.
Not all bumps and spots are moles, so we encourage you to come in for an evaluation if you’ve got concerns. We understand the face is a sensitive area that is often changing in color and texture. Removing unwanted moles that are unattractive or distracting is an excellent way to boost your confidence and help you feel good about your appearance.
AM I A CANDIDATE FOR MOLE REMOVAL SURGERY?
If you’ve got a mole that bothers you for cosmetic reasons or because it is raised and will catch on clothing, you may be an excellent candidate forMole Removal Surgery. Would you please let us know if you’ve noticed that your mole has changed in size, shape, or color so we can eliminate potential cancer?
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A MOLE REMOVAL?
We begin by measuring and collecting images of the mole in question during a skin exam. Next, we sterilize the mole and surrounding skin before numbing the area. The method we use to remove the mole depends on the mole itself and the reasons for removal.
We use a scalpel to remove bumpy, dark, or potentially cancerous moles, and then we sew the skin back together. Dr. Tuggle uses a feathering technique to suture the wound and again a few months later to minimize scarring.
If you have a raised, light/flesh-colored mole, in ourMole Removal Surgery procedure we usually shave it off with a razor or scalpel and cover it with a bandage. No stitches are required for shave removals.
When removing flat moles, we typically use a cylindrical device resembling a cookie cutter that removes a round plug of tissue containing the mole. If the mold is more significant than 2mm, we suture the wound closed. Otherwise, we cover it with a bandage.
When a mole is cancerous, we perform MohsMole Removal Surgery in our office. The procedure begins with a biopsy and immediate diagnosis. We continue to remove skin until the margins are clear and no skin cancer remains.
DOES A MOLE REMOVAL SURGERY HURT?
A minor burn from the injection to numb the area is the only discomfort you should feel during your mole removal procedure.
HOW LONG DOES A MOLE REMOVAL SURGERY TAKE?
The length of the procedure depends on the size of the mole and the technique we are using to remove it. Typically, a mole removal takes anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. Mohs surgeries can take longer, depending on our findings.
MOLE REMOVAL SURGERY RECOVERY
Mole removal recovery requires no downtime. We cover the incision with a bandage, so you are free to return to your daily activities immediately. Be sure to take extra care not to bump or irritate the area as it heals, avoid showering the first 48 hours, keep exercise to a minimum, and protect the incision from the sun by keeping it covered.
See our FAQ below. Contact Us with any other questions.
MOLE REMOVAL SURGERY
MOLE REMOVAL SURGERY
I recently relocated from CA. I was nervous to find a new place for lip fillers after going to the same person for several years. Tonya was absolutely amazing! She is extremely knowledgeable and instantly made me feel comfortable. Tonya exceeded my expectations. I’ve received so many compliments from friends and family. The entire staff were friendly and professional. I will definitely become a loyal client. Thank you Tonya and team!!!
May 4, 2021
How amazing! I can’t believe what Tonya has done for me! She took excellent care of me! My first time ever for Botox and Lip Filler. I’m 58 feeling like 30 again! Everyone deserves this! I will be back! My crows are gone. My lipstick goes on smooth with no bleeds. You are totally amazing Tonya! Thank you again ! Tonya was so professional and went over everything in detail with me! Totally amazing place! Treat yourself! We all deserve to look great and feel great! ❤️
April 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality Easy to book online. Seamless appointment and did not feel rushed. Tonya explained thoroughly and made sure i had the best results for botox and minimizing my frown line. Highly recommend!
September 20, 2021
Tonya is amazing!! She made me feel so comfortable and really listened to my concerns about my skin. She really cares and knows what she is doing. I wouldn’t go anywhere else!! I was concerned my first appointment but I just had my third and I can say it’s so worth it!!! Botox has been an incredible experience and I’m so happy to have tried it, I’m so much happier with my appearance and it looks incredibly natural. I’ve included before and after photos, neither photo is filtered or edited, you can see how makeup would collect in my forehead, and how the after it’s smooth and looks so lovely. It doesn’t feel weird or like I can’t move my muscles at all, it feels super natural. One of my biggest concerns was that I wouldn’t be able to emote with Botox but that’s just not true at all. I feel so confident and that is thanks to Tonya!
September 13, 2021
The office staff is super accommodating and helpful, and Dr. Tuggle and Tonya Tuggle are both wonderful at what they do. I have had multiple procedures/treatments here over the years and highly recommend them. I never feel uncomfortable or judged, which is huge when deciding on cosmetic procedures. I also never felt pressured into anything and always felt informed about all of my decisions. They have great seasonal specials on fillers, etc!
May 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality Tonya really takes the time to listen to your concerns and is very accommodating. Results were fast and I love them. I highly recommend them.
April 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Getting botox at Sandia Skin & Face was the best decision I've ever made. No more lines on my forehead 🙂
September 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Dr. Tonya Tuggle is a true professional and such a nice person. I highly recommend her and Sandia Skin.
September 13, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value First time getting Botox, I was very nervous. They ARE super friendly. They explained everything to me also answered all of my questions. Tonya is the BEST!!! she is so friendly and professional. I totally recommend this place to get Botox. THE BEST IN ABQ
July 4, 2021
MOLE REMOVAL SURGERY
Pre and Post-Operative Instructions
Would you please read these instructions before and after your surgery? Carefully following these guidelines will help you obtain the best possible result. Take this information with you on the day of surgery to begin following the instructions that day. If you have questions, do not hesitate to contact our office. We want you to have a pleasant and enjoyable experience.
Preparing for Surgery
- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications), Vitamin E, herbal supplements, or medicines containing these compounds and alcohol for two weeks before surgery. Acetaminophen (Tylenol or generic equivalent) and a daily multivitamin are OK.
- Refrain from smoking two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. Nicotine and tobacco smoke delay healing and can result in scarring.
- Avoid sun damage two weeks before surgery. We recommend wearing an SPF 30 or higher.
- Tour prescriptions for after surgery (typically an antibiotic and pain med) will be given to you the day of surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight the night before your surgery.
- Would you please arrange for someone to take you home from our surgery center? You will not be allowed to drive or leave alone. Arrange for someone to stay with you for the first 24 hours after surgery
- Make arrangements to stay in the Albuquerque City area on the night of your surgery if you live more than an hour’s drive away.
On the day before Surgery
- On the day before surgery, you will receive a phone call informing you of the exact time to report to our surgery center.
Day of Surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, the morning of surgery. Essential meds may be taken with a sip of water 1 hour before the surgery appointment.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes. Short-Sleeved Shirt is required.
- Leave all valuables at home; do not wear jewelry.
- Do not wear any facial or eye make-up. Avoid nail polish.
- You may wear glasses but do not wear contact lenses.
- If you wear dentures, keep them in.
- Bring your ID and insurance card with you.
MOLE REMOVAL SURGERY
Procedures can make you feel groggy for up to 48 hours after surgery. Grogginess can cause nausea and sometimes vomiting. Keep yourself hydrated with water, ginger ale, Gatorade, and electrolyte drinks. Eat a bland, soft diet (applesauce and broth, for starters).
- After surgery, you will have some pain and discomfort due to the surgery, which is to be expected and should be controlled with pain medications (Tylenol or prescription pain medications only).
- Escalating, severe pain is not typical and should be addressed immediately. Contact us or a medical professional promptly.
- Swelling is common after facial surgery. Swelling usually peaks at day three and subsides afterward. It is not uncommon for some minor swelling to last 2-5 weeks after surgery. Each patient experiences a different healing process.
- When resting, elevate your head above your heart to help decrease swelling for the first three days after surgery. A pillow or two is all that is needed. *Sleeping sitting up is not necessary.
- One of the critical things after buccal fat removal is to avoid “sharp, fine granular foods.” For example, couscous or rice would not be a good choice. Tortilla chips would also be a poor choice. In contrast, fine, soft foods such as a well-blended smoothie or mashed potatoes can be examples of good food choices.
- Apply ice packs to the outside of your cheeks. Everyone will swell after a procedure, but patients who are most diligent in their icing the first 48 hours after a procedure will tend to be less swollen.
- Use common sense, and if the skin is getting too cold, remove the compresses for approximately 20 minutes before resuming cooling. You only need to continue this process for waking hours.
- After every meal, you will want will complete an oral swish with the prescribed mouthwash. For the first five days after surgery, dilute approx. One ounce of mouthwash into a cup of water. Swish this around your mouth after every meal, and spit out. The goal here is to prevent any fine food particles from getting stuck in the incisions inside the mouth (this could lead to infection).
- After the 5th day, switch the mouth cleansing solution to lukewarm saltwater. Again, swish and spit after every meal and continue this until ten days post-procedure.
DON’T TAKE CHANCES! If you are concerned about anything you consider significant, call us at:
505-291-9600 Mon-Thurs 8-4, Fri 8-12.
Registered Nurse Practitioner Tonya Tuggle is Albuquerque’s choice for those who want to keep their youthful appearance and healthy glow. Tonya is passionate about educating patients on preventative skin care and providing non-surgical maintenance for graceful aging. We can’t wait to meet you!