WHAT ARE PRP INJECTIONS (PLATELET-RICH PLASMA) TREATMENTS?
PRP INJECTIONS (PLATELET-RICH PLASMA), also known as “autologous conditioned plasma.” PLATELET-RICH PLASMA INJECTIONS is a concentrate of platelet-rich plasma protein derived from whole blood, centrifuged to remove red blood cells.
Besides the use in clinical practice, PRP is utilized for various tissue engineering applications in bone, cartilage, skin, and soft tissue repair. PRP has been reviewed to serve as a source for the “delivery of growth factors and/or cells within tissue-engineered constructs, often in combination with biomaterials.”
There are four general categories of preparation of PRP based on its leukocyte and fibrin content: leukocyte-rich PRP (L-PRP), leukocyte reduced PRP (P-PRP; leukocyte reduced or pure PRP), leukocyte platelet-rich fibrin, and pure platelet-rich fibrin.
At Sandia Skin + Face, we used Next Generation PRP – Platelet-rich Fibrin Matrix (PRFM) from SELPHYL®.
The SELPHYL® System is designed for the safe and rapid preparation of Platelet-rich Fibrin Matrix (PRFM) from a small blood sample at the patient’s point of care. Many PRP systems require operator skills, have varying results, and have extensive contamination with red blood cells and white blood cells. SELPHYL® removes virtually all contaminating cells and is independent of the operator technique. PRP is converted to PRFM through a controlled process, creating a scaffold that protects and preserves platelets.
The Power of Platelets
Platelets and other components in human blood migrate to a site of injury. Platelets are known to release various growth factors that respond to tissue injury, initiating and promoting healing. By concentrating platelets at the site of injury, physicians have the potential to enhance the body’s natural capacity for healing.
WHAT ARE PRP INJECTIONS (PLATELET-RICH PLASMA)?
PRP, by definition, refers to platelets in plasma, where the platelet concentration is generally considered to be twice the normal concentration in whole blood. Nowhere in the definition of PRP is there a description for including red blood cells (RBC) or white blood cells (WBC). These cells should be removed as much as possible from a PRP preparation.
Some kits that tout high platelet concentrations do so at the expense of having contaminating RBCs or WBCs – these cells are known to have inflammatory and catabolic effects – just the opposite of the desired result. If the PRP in the syringe has any tinge of pink or red, you are most likely injecting a preparation with RBC contamination.
PRP vs. PRFM
- Platelets in plasma
- Activation is immediate
- Alpha granules release growth factors quickly (bolus)
- Short-term tissue signaling
- Minutes – hours
- Platelets in fibrin matrix
- CaCl2 binds to Na Citrate 1:1
- Clotting cascade resumes (Fibrinogen – Fibrin)
- Platelets remain viable with controlled GF release
- Hours – days
SANDIA SKIN + FACE
PRP INJECTIONS TREATMENT
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy uses injections of a concentration of a patient’s own platelets to accelerate the healing of injured tendons, ligaments, muscles, and joints. In this way, a PRP Injection uses each patient’s own healing system to improve musculoskeletal problems.
First, the doctor draws blood from the patient’s arm and then separates the PRP from the rest of the blood’s components.
After injecting lidocaine to numb the treatment area, the doctor carefully injects the PRP into multiple places under the skin. The platelets break down and release their growth factors, which trigger the natural processes of cell proliferation and tissue renewal.
The procedure itself takes about 30 minutes, and most people can resume their normal activities immediately afterward.
See our FAQ below. Contact Us with any other questions.
SANDIA SKIN + FACE
How amazing! I can’t believe what Tonya has done for me! She took excellent care of me! My first time ever for Botox and Lip Filler. I’m 58 feeling like 30 again! Everyone deserves this! I will be back! My crows are gone. My lipstick goes on smooth with no bleeds. You are totally amazing Tonya! Thank you again ! Tonya was so professional and went over everything in detail with me! Totally amazing place! Treat yourself! We all deserve to look great and feel great! ❤️
April 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Getting botox at Sandia Skin & Face was the best decision I've ever made. No more lines on my forehead 🙂
September 4, 2021
The office staff is super accommodating and helpful, and Dr. Tuggle and Tonya Tuggle are both wonderful at what they do. I have had multiple procedures/treatments here over the years and highly recommend them. I never feel uncomfortable or judged, which is huge when deciding on cosmetic procedures. I also never felt pressured into anything and always felt informed about all of my decisions. They have great seasonal specials on fillers, etc!
May 4, 2021
PRP INJECTIONS (PLATELET-RICH PLASMA)
Before your PRP Injections (Platelet-Rich Plasma) treatment session, our physician will discuss what to expect during your treatment. However, it is helpful to remember that there are a few things to take into consideration before your session:
- At least three to four days before your procedure, discontinue anti-inflammatory medications.
- One to two weeks before your procedure, discontinue any blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins.
- One to two weeks before your procedure, discontinue systematic steroids
- At least one month before your procedure, stop steroid injections
- On the day of your procedure, eat a full, healthy breakfast and be sure to drink plenty of water
- Please be advised that if you take chronic oral steroids, a discontinuation plan will need to be discussed with your primary care provider as abrupt stoppage may cause side effects.
PRP INJECTIONS (PLATELET-RICH PLASMA)
After your treatment session, we recommend that all patients rest on the day of their procedure. We advise limited use of the treatment area for the next two days, but the movement is encouraged. Limited use helps the joint recover as the treatment is absorbed by the area’s surrounding tissues.
0 – 3 days post-procedure guidelines
- After your treatment, there is a chance you’ll experience some mild to moderate pain or discomfort at the treatment site. Discomfort is normal, and it is a sign that your body is healing as it adjusts to the treatment.
- It is best to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water to help promote healing.
- You mustn’t take ANY medications following your procedure unless specifically directed otherwise by a physician. NO medicine is a must because any drug can affect the healing process or other adverse effects.
Therefore, discontinue use of any of these medications post-procedure for best results:
- Anti-inflammatory medications for at least two weeks post-procedure
- Blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins for 3-4 days post-procedure
- Systematic steroids for two weeks post-procedure
- Other important guidelines to follow after your procedure are:
- Avoid applying ice or heat to the injection site for the first 72 hours post-procedure
- Don’t take a hot bath or go to a sauna for the first few days post-procedure
- Avoid consumption of any alcoholic beverages for the first week post-procedure
- Avoid showering for the first 24 hours following your procedure
- Limit caffeine consumption for the first week post-procedure
- Avoid smoking
3 – 14 days post-procedure guidelines
- At this point in your healing, you should gradually increase your daily activities.
- 3 to 14 days is also when you can begin exercises. Proper exercise is a vital part of long-term results, and we can help you determine which exercises are best suited for your needs before your procedure.
- Ice can be applied 3-4 times a day for 15-20 minutes as needed for comfort
- Anti-inflammatory medications (such as Tylenol) can be taken to help manage any residual pain at this time, take as directed
- Continue to avoid alcoholic beverages, smoking, or excessive amounts of caffeine
3 – 4 weeks post-procedure guidelines
- We highly encourage you to begin physical therapy to aid in your long-term healing and continued recovery at this point in your healing.
- A follow-up appointment will be made for you to meet with our physician to review your healing process. You must keep this follow-up visit even if your recovery is going well.
- If there are any adjustments to your customized treatment plan, this is when our physician will be able to make those decisions.
Registered Nurse Practitioner Tonya Tuggle is Albuquerque’s choice for those who want to keep their youthful appearance and healthy glow. Tonya is passionate about educating patients on preventative skin care and providing non-surgical maintenance for graceful aging. We can’t wait to meet you!