WHAT ARE CHIN DIMPLES?
Chin Dimples, sometimes referred to as Cleft chins, or butt chins can be the result of an unfused jaw bone. The skin over the tiny gap is indented, creating a dimple. If you ever run your finger over a cleft chin, you can actually feel the gap in the jaw bone, but don’t worry, this anatomical feature is harmless, except for the “look” that some people dislike.
However, more commonly, these divots and lines tend to form as we age as a result of fat loss in and around the chin area.
Chin Dimples can also appear in younger people being caused by an over-active “mentalis muscle”. As the chin is pulled up with the mentalis muscles, this dimpling effect occurs. Some people also refer to these types of chin dimples as “peau d’orange” or “golf ball chin”.
WHAT ARE THE ROOT CAUSES OF CHIN DIMPLES?
Most commonly Chin Dimples are a natural result of a person aging. As we age, our skin becomes thinner and the skin’s level of collagen and elastin production decreases.
Collagen is a protein that contributes to the rounded, youthful look of our skin. Without the Collagen protein scaffolding, our skin will sag, appear thinner, and wrinkles become deeper.
Elastin contributes to the skin’s ability to recover from being stretched and compressed. As elastin production declines with aging, wrinkles develop.
Decreased levels of these proteins make the skin more susceptible to sagging and the development of lines and wrinkles. Lifestyle and environmental factors such as sun exposure, pollutants, lack of hydration, or inadequate nutrition can also contribute to a loss of collagen and elastin.
Chin Dimples can be one of the early signs of facial aging, as Chin Dimples can begin to become visible at an early age (often mid-20’s). The reason for such early development of Chin Dimples is due to the constant use of our mouth area, which experiences the loss of elasticity much faster than surrounding skin.
HOW CAN I PREVENT CHIN DIMPLES?
Sadly, there is no way to prevent Chin Dimples. Nearly everyone will get Chin Dimples at some time in their lifetime. However, we can take measures to reduce both the severity and depth of Chin Dimples. Some effective measures to prevent Chin Dimples include:
- Avoid Smoking: Smoke and other air pollutants can speed up the aging process by damaging collagen and elastin. Smoking causes premature skin sagging and wrinkles.
- Limit Sun Exposure: UV light is damaging to both collagen and elastin in our caces. Limit your time in the sun, and avoid tanning beds completely. If you must be outdoors for long periods of time, wear UV skin protection.
- Eat Healthy: Collagen requires amino acids, vitamin C, and other minerals including zinc and sulfur. One eating healthy meals with a variety of fruits and vegetables provides these nutrients.
- Moisturize: Eye creams and moisturizers with retinol, vitamin C and hyaluronic acid can help plump skin by stimulating collagen production, which reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines in our face.
- Exercise: Body movement increases the heart rate, circulates blood and nutrients, and keeps skin oxygenated. This movement increases collagen production for a glowing, youthful look.
WHAT ARE MY CHIN DIMPLES TREATMENT OPTIONS?
Chin Dimples are not physically harmful but can be mentally unpleasing. There are multiple cosmetic treatment options that may reduce or eliminate their appearance, including the following:
Botox smooths Chin Dimples wrinkles that result from repetitive muscle constriction by paralyzing the muscles that form the wrinkles. Botox is a safe and effective treatment that is temporary but very effective in those between the ages of 30-50 whose wrinkles are just beginning to appear. Botox treatments last anywhere from 3-6 months and additional period maintenance sessions can maintain results over a longer period.
2. Dermal Fillers
Dermal Fillers are effective for Chin Dimples that appear even when the face is relaxed. Dermal fillers plump the skin making wrinkles much less visible. Some dermal fillers work by provoking an increase in the body’s own collagen production processes. Dermal fillers can last 3-12 months or longer, depending upon the type used.
3. Chemical Peels
Chemical Peels work by removing the outer layer of skin, which triggers a healing process. The skin that grows back is newer, younger, and smoother to the look and touch. Wrinkles diminish with a deep chemical peel, although the procedure can also be done at medium and light depths. Chemical peels last from one month to several years, depending upon the depth of the peel.
4. Laser Skin Resurfacing
Laser Skin Resurfacing works similarly to a chemical peel but is more exacting. The upper layers of skin are removed, revealing younger-looking skin. This new skin has more collagen and elastin, making it less susceptible to wrinkles. The effects of laser resurfacing last for several years.
Microneedling uses a hand-held device to create tiny punctures into your skin. These punctures trigger the release of growth hormones that increase collagen production. As the skin heals, it will become more youthful and elastic. Microneedling results last for approximately 4-6 weeks after treatment.
Each of these treatment options will reduce the appearance of Chin Dimples. The optimum treatment for each patient depends on several factors including the severity, patient age, and skin type.
DO CHIN DIMPLES TREATMENTS WORK?
Increased collagen production can help the skin around the eyes heal in a smoother, more even way.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR CHIN DIMPLES TREATMENT?
Everyone’s different, but most patients come in because their eye wrinkles are making them unhappy.
HOW LONG DOES A CHIN DIMPLES TREATMENT LAST?
This depends on the treatment method. Most results typically last three to four months. In order to maintain smoothness around your eyes, you’ll need to see your healthcare provider for follow-up injections every few months.
HOW MUCH DOES CHIN DIMPLES TREATMENT COST?
It depends mostly on where you are in the country and the type of treatment you get. Talk with us about your options.
CHIN DIMPLES FAQ
The office staff is super accommodating and helpful, and Dr. Tuggle and Tonya Tuggle are both wonderful at what they do. I have had multiple procedures/treatments here over the years and highly recommend them. I never feel uncomfortable or judged, which is huge when deciding on cosmetic procedures. I also never felt pressured into anything and always felt informed about all of my decisions. They have great seasonal specials on fillers, etc!
May 4, 2021
Tonya is amazing!! She made me feel so comfortable and really listened to my concerns about my skin. She really cares and knows what she is doing. I wouldn’t go anywhere else!! I was concerned my first appointment but I just had my third and I can say it’s so worth it!!! Botox has been an incredible experience and I’m so happy to have tried it, I’m so much happier with my appearance and it looks incredibly natural. I’ve included before and after photos, neither photo is filtered or edited, you can see how makeup would collect in my forehead, and how the after it’s smooth and looks so lovely. It doesn’t feel weird or like I can’t move my muscles at all, it feels super natural. One of my biggest concerns was that I wouldn’t be able to emote with Botox but that’s just not true at all. I feel so confident and that is thanks to Tonya!
September 13, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Getting botox at Sandia Skin & Face was the best decision I've ever made. No more lines on my forehead 🙂
September 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Dr. Tonya Tuggle is a true professional and such a nice person. I highly recommend her and Sandia Skin.
September 13, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality Tonya really takes the time to listen to your concerns and is very accommodating. Results were fast and I love them. I highly recommend them.
April 4, 2021
How amazing! I can’t believe what Tonya has done for me! She took excellent care of me! My first time ever for Botox and Lip Filler. I’m 58 feeling like 30 again! Everyone deserves this! I will be back! My crows are gone. My lipstick goes on smooth with no bleeds. You are totally amazing Tonya! Thank you again ! Tonya was so professional and went over everything in detail with me! Totally amazing place! Treat yourself! We all deserve to look great and feel great! ❤️
April 4, 2021
I recently relocated from CA. I was nervous to find a new place for lip fillers after going to the same person for several years. Tonya was absolutely amazing! She is extremely knowledgeable and instantly made me feel comfortable. Tonya exceeded my expectations. I’ve received so many compliments from friends and family. The entire staff were friendly and professional. I will definitely become a loyal client. Thank you Tonya and team!!!
May 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality Easy to book online. Seamless appointment and did not feel rushed. Tonya explained thoroughly and made sure i had the best results for botox and minimizing my frown line. Highly recommend!
September 20, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value First time getting Botox, I was very nervous. They ARE super friendly. They explained everything to me also answered all of my questions. Tonya is the BEST!!! she is so friendly and professional. I totally recommend this place to get Botox. THE BEST IN ABQ
July 4, 2021
CHIN DIMPLES PROCEDURE PREP
Before your treatment session, our specialist will discuss what to expect during your treatment. However, it is helpful to remember that there are a few things to take into consideration before your session:
- At least three to four days before your procedure, discontinue anti-inflammatory medications.
- One to two weeks before your procedure, discontinue any blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins.
- One to two weeks before your procedure, discontinue systematic steroids
- At least one month before your procedure, stop steroid injections
- On the day of your procedure, eat a full, healthy breakfast and be sure to drink plenty of water
- Please be advised that if you take chronic oral steroids, a discontinuation plan will need to be discussed with your primary care provider as abrupt stoppage may cause side effects.
CHIN DIMPLES AFTERCARE
After your treatment session, we recommend that all patients rest on the day of their procedure. We advise limited use of the treatment area for the next two days, but some movement is encouraged. Limited use helps the joint recover as the treatment is absorbed by the area’s surrounding tissues.
0 – 3 days post-procedure guidelines.
- After your treatment, there is a chance you’ll experience some mild to moderate pain or discomfort at the treatment site. Discomfort is normal, and it is a sign that your body is healing as it adjusts to the treatment.
- It is best to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water to help promote healing.
- You mustn’t take ANY medications following your procedure unless specifically directed otherwise by a physician. NO medicine is a must because any drug can affect the healing process or other adverse effects.
Therefore, discontinue use of any of these medications post-procedure for best results:
- Anti-inflammatory medications for at least two weeks post-procedure
- Blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins for 3-4 days post-procedure
- Systematic steroids for two weeks post-procedure
- Other important guidelines to follow after your procedure are:
- Avoid applying ice or heat to the injection site for the first 72 hours post-procedure
- Don’t take a hot bath or go to a sauna for the first few days post-procedure
- Avoid consumption of any alcoholic beverages for the first week post-procedure
- Avoid showering for the first 24 hours following your procedure
- Limit caffeine consumption for the first week post-procedure
- Avoid smoking
3 – 14 days post-procedure guidelines.
- At this point in your healing, you should gradually increase your daily activities
- 3 to 14 days is also when you can begin exercises. Proper exercise is a vital part of long-term results, and we can help you determine which exercises are best suited for your needs before your procedure.
- Ice can be applied 3-4 times a day for 15-20 minutes as needed for comfort
- Anti-inflammatory medications (such as Tylenol) can be taken to help manage any residual pain at this time, take as directed
- Continue to avoid alcoholic beverages, smoking, or excessive amounts of caffeine
3 – 4 weeks post-procedure guidelines.
- We highly encourage you to begin physical therapy to aid in your long-term healing and continued recovery at this point in your healing.
- A follow-up appointment will be made for you to meet with our physician to review your healing process. You must keep this follow-up visit even if your recovery is going well.
- If there are any adjustments to your customized treatment plan, this is when our physician will be able to make those decisions
Registered Nurse Practitioner Tonya Tuggle is Albuquerque’s choice for those who want to keep their youthful appearance and healthy glow. Tonya is passionate about educating patients on preventative skin care and providing non-surgical maintenance for graceful aging. We can’t wait to meet you!