WHAT IS COSMETIC LIP FILLER (LIP ENHANCEMENT)?
Juvederm is a cosmetic treatment referred to as a filler. Juvederm is used to restore facial contours and improve signs of aging. Juvederm is an injectable dermal filler with a base of hyaluronic acid. It’s a treatment that focuses on the face, specifically the cheeks, lips, and around the mouth.
JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA™ XC injectable gel is for injection into the lips for lip augmentation, and correction of perioral lines often called “lipstick lines” in adults over the age of 21.
JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA™ XC lasts up to 1 year, with optimal treatment.
JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA™ XC is a crystal-clear gel injected directly into and around the lips using an ultra-fine needle to temporarily plump the lips for lip augmentation and smooth the appearance lines around the mouth. The lidocaine gel improves the comfort of the injection by reducing sensitivity to pain.
History of the Procedure
Augmentation of the lip has been performed for cosmetic reasons for ages. Women of all ethnic and social backgrounds have applied cosmetics to their lips to define or alter their appearance since the Stone Age. Tribal ceremonies involving the introduction of various materials in the lips to change their shape, usually to enlarge them, have been practiced in Africa for centuries.
Enhancing the lips is one of the procedures that can be done, which can significantly impact the overall youthful rejuvenation of the entire face. A refreshed and youthful appearance can be achieved by restoring the naturally lost volume over time.
Cosmetic deformities of the lips include both congenital and acquired etiologies, and some patients never develop adequate fullness in their lips. Atrophy (loss of that plump baby fat) develops in other patients’ lips and lower faces as they age.
Hyaluronic acid is the sugar-based gel that naturally supports the cells in our skin, is a significant component in the fluids that lubricate our joints, and gives our eyes their spherical structure. Our body produces less and less hyaluronic acid as we age, especially in the cells located in the lower face, around the mouth, and in the lips.
Other factors contributing to the lower face and lips aging are sunlight, ultraviolet tanning beds, and environmental toxins such as pollution and cigarette smoke.
Every patient has a thorough exam of their facial structures and then discusses the treatment options and desired results. Some patients have had thin lips all their lives, and they would like to enhance their lips to bring them to a more “normal” size, in artistic symmetry with the rest of their face. Other patients would like to have their lips accentuated to make them more full or voluminous. Still, other patients would like to correct lip lines or “smoker’s lines,” although they may not have necessarily been caused by smoking.
Products and Procedures
For many who undergo lip augmentation, atrophy or loss of hyaluronic acid in the lip is the primary reason for treatment. Often used are Restylane or Juvederm, as pure forms of hyaluronic acids.
Collagen, Botox, and sometimes even the patient’s fat will often be used to restore structure and volume to the lower face and lips. Anytime one performs injections, there can be a small amount of discomfort.
We almost always perform regional anesthesia similar to a dentist. Anesthesia takes only a few seconds and makes the procedure almost entirely painless.
Voluminous, well-defined lips are associated with youthfulness and beauty. We offer non-surgical lip enhancements with hyaluronic acid dermal fillers and PDO smooth threads. Juvaderm Ultra, Volbella, and Belotero are excellent products to enhance fullness or restore lost volume due to aging. Lip enhancement is a lunch-time procedure with little downtime.
PDO smooth threads are a great way to enhance and define the border of your lips and can be used in conjunction with a hyaluronic filler. PDO threads are an excellent choice for mature lips where extra volume is not desired. Our vermillion border becomes undefined as we age, allowing the lipstick to fade into the surrounding skin.
Short-term swelling and redness lasting 24 hours are common, although there is no downtime at all. Sometimes transient bruising lasting a few days occurs. To reduce the risk of bruising, we recommend stopping blood thinners and vitamins/herbs if your primary care doctor is medically cleared.
Because of the nature of the procedure, the injected material can be felt, sometimes as tiny bumps which are naturally smoothed out by the body within a couple of days.
Fillers in Lips can:
- Achieve fullness in the places you desire
- Define shape and provide a well-contoured look
- Balance symmetry between upper and lower lips
- Smooth lines and creases around the lip area
WHAT ARE PDO THREADS?
Enhances and redefines the vermillion border of lips, holding up drooping skin. It raises the border of the lip, preventing lipstick from bleeding into the skin. It gives beautiful results alone, or it’s the perfect addition to lip filler.
WHAT IS A LIP FLIP?
How is the lip flip achieved? Botox is injected superficially into the Orbicularis Oris Muscle and results in fuller-looking lips while enhancing the profile with an increased outward projection of the lips. This procedure is often combined with filler and PDO smooth threads placed at the vermilion border for complete lip enhancement.
See our FAQ below. Contact Us with any other questions.
LIP FILLER – LIP ENHANCEMENT
LIP FILLER – LIP ENHANCEMENT
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Getting botox at Sandia Skin & Face was the best decision I've ever made. No more lines on my forehead 🙂
September 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value First time getting Botox, I was very nervous. They ARE super friendly. They explained everything to me also answered all of my questions. Tonya is the BEST!!! she is so friendly and professional. I totally recommend this place to get Botox. THE BEST IN ABQ
July 4, 2021
How amazing! I can’t believe what Tonya has done for me! She took excellent care of me! My first time ever for Botox and Lip Filler. I’m 58 feeling like 30 again! Everyone deserves this! I will be back! My crows are gone. My lipstick goes on smooth with no bleeds. You are totally amazing Tonya! Thank you again ! Tonya was so professional and went over everything in detail with me! Totally amazing place! Treat yourself! We all deserve to look great and feel great! ❤️
April 4, 2021
LIP FILLER – LIP ENHANCEMENT
Before your treatment session, our physician will discuss what to expect during your treatment. However, it is helpful to remember that there are a few things to take into consideration before your session:
- At least three to four days before your procedure, discontinue anti-inflammatory medications.
- One to two weeks before your procedure, discontinue any blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins.
- One to two weeks before your procedure, discontinue systematic steroids
- At least one month before your procedure, stop steroid injections
- On the day of your procedure, eat a full, healthy breakfast and be sure to drink plenty of water
- Please be advised that if you take chronic oral steroids, a discontinuation plan will need to be discussed with your primary care provider as abrupt stoppage may cause side effects.
LIP FILLER – LIP ENHANCEMENT
After your treatment session, we recommend that all patients rest on the day of their procedure. We advise limited use of the treatment area for the next two days, but the movement is encouraged. Limited use helps the joint recover as the treatment is absorbed by the area’s surrounding tissues.
0 – 3 days post-procedure guidelines.
After your treatment, there is a chance you’ll experience some mild to moderate pain or discomfort at the treatment site. Discomfort is normal, and it is a sign that your body is healing as it adjusts to the treatment. It is best to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water to help promote healing.
You mustn’t take ANY medications following your procedure unless specifically directed otherwise by a physician. NO medicine is a must because any drug can affect the healing process or other adverse effects.
Therefore, discontinue use of any of these medications post-procedure for best results:
- Anti-inflammatory medications for at least two weeks post-procedure
- Blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins for 3-4 days post-procedure
- Systematic steroids for two weeks post-procedure
- Other important guidelines to follow after your procedure are:
- Avoid applying ice or heat to the injection site for the first 72 hours post-procedure
- Don’t take a hot bath or go to a sauna for the first few days post-procedure
- Avoid consumption of any alcoholic beverages for the first week post-procedure
- Avoid showering for the first 24 hours following your procedure
- Limit caffeine consumption for the first week post-procedure
- Avoid smoking
3 – 14 days post-procedure guidelines.
- At this point in your healing, you should gradually increase your daily activities.
- 3 to 14 days is also when you can begin exercises. Proper exercise is a vital part of long-term results, and we can help you determine which exercises are best suited for your needs before your procedure.
- Ice can be applied 3-4 times a day for 15-20 minutes as needed for comfort
- Anti-inflammatory medications (such as Tylenol) can be taken to help manage any residual pain at this time, take as directed
- Continue to avoid alcoholic beverages, smoking, or excessive amounts of caffeine
3 – 4 weeks post-procedure guidelines.
- We highly encourage you to begin physical therapy to aid in your long-term healing and continued recovery at this point in your healing.
- A follow-up appointment will be made for you to meet with our physician to review your healing process. You must keep this follow-up visit even if your recovery is going well.
- If there are any adjustments to your customized treatment plan, this is when our physician will be able to make those decisions.
Registered Nurse Practitioner Tonya Tuggle is Albuquerque’s choice for those who want to keep their youthful appearance and healthy glow. Tonya is passionate about educating patients on preventative skin care and providing non-surgical maintenance for graceful aging. We can’t wait to meet you!