WHAT ARE CHIN WRINKLES?
Chin Wrinkles, aka Mental Creases, or Labiomental Sulcus, is the horizontal crease underneath your lower lip and above your chin. This chin crease is formed by the chin’s mental muscle and can be a single groove of varying depths, or in some people, may appear as multiple wrinkles or folds.
Deep or prominent mental creases are not harmful, but some may find them aesthetically unwanted. More defined mental creases tend to create shadows on the chin which can make it appear larger. Additionally, deep lines formed by the mental crease can exaggerate the appearance of aging.
There are numerous and effective ways to both minimize and correct an overly prominent mental crease.
The appearance of a deep mental crease can be genetic in origin, the result of the natural shape of your chin, or related to the alignment of your jaw and teeth. A mental crease can become exaggerated with age as collagen and the structure it provides begins to fade.
Repetitious muscle movements, especially pouting, can create wrinkles or deepen grooves along the mental crease. With age comes the decline of elastin, causing these wrinkles to become more consistently visible. Enlargement of the chin muscles, due to genetics or years of facial expression, can also deepen the mental crease.
Deep mental creases before the age of 30 could signal a genetic disorder. Normally, chin creases are not of aesthetic concern until after the age of 40.
WHAT ARE MY CHIN WRINKLES TREATMENT OPTIONS?
1. Neuromodulators – Subtle changes, non-permanent results
Neuromodulators such as Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin act in a similar way. These types of injectables are often the primary go-to for minimizing the chin crease before more dramatic solutions are applied.
Neuromodulators paralyze the muscles of the chin, to prevent the mental crease from forming during certain facial expressions. Therefore, these methods work best if your mental crease is the result of facial expression, or if you’re seeking subtle change.
Neuromodulators are non-permanent, meaning you’ll have to receive repeated treatments for best results.
2. Dermal Fillers – More pronounced changes, longer lasting results
When Botox doesn’t meet your needs, dermal fillers such as Restylane or Belotero can be used on their own or in combination with Botox for a more dramatic result.
Dermal fillers work by filling the area under the chin wrinkle with a gel-like substance for a smoother chin contour. If your chin wrinkle is present even when your face is relaxed, this might be the best solution for you.
Dermal fillers are more permanent than Botox injections. While some fillers last nearly a year a fillers treatment is still not considered permanent.
3. Chin Augmentation – Dramatic changes, permanent results
Chin augmentation is a surgical procedure (chin implant) and is the most dramatic solution to a mental crease. However, may not be the best solution for everyone.
Chin implants typically bring the chin forward to fix weak or small jawlines. For some, this increased chin projection can actually deepen the mental crease. Only a skilled surgeon can determine if chin augmentation is the correct solution for you.
DO CHIN WRINKLES TREATMENTS WORK?
Fillers are a quick and effective treatment that can enhance your cheeks, smooth any lines, and make your skin look more youthful. Cheek fillers are not too expensive, and it’s a quick procedure that shouldn’t interrupt your life.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A CHIN WRINKLES TREATMENT?
Everyone’s different, but most patients come in because their cheeks and/or the sides of their face have lost some volume, causing their entire face to look a bit droopy. Cheek fillers do the job of lifting those sunken areas.
HOW LONG DOES A CHIN WRINKLES TREATMENT LAST?
This depends on several factors, but predominantly, the type of filler used and how much of it is injected. Some cheek fillers can last six to 12 months, while others can last potentially for years.
HOW MUCH DOES CHIN WRINKLES TREATMENT COST?
It depends mostly on where you are in the country and the type of HA filler you get. Fillers can cost you anywhere from $300-$1200 per syringe. Some patients may need several syringes, while others might just need a very subtle treatment.
CHIN WRINKLES FAQ
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value First time getting Botox, I was very nervous. They ARE super friendly. They explained everything to me also answered all of my questions. Tonya is the BEST!!! she is so friendly and professional. I totally recommend this place to get Botox. THE BEST IN ABQ
July 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality Tonya really takes the time to listen to your concerns and is very accommodating. Results were fast and I love them. I highly recommend them.
April 4, 2021
The office staff is super accommodating and helpful, and Dr. Tuggle and Tonya Tuggle are both wonderful at what they do. I have had multiple procedures/treatments here over the years and highly recommend them. I never feel uncomfortable or judged, which is huge when deciding on cosmetic procedures. I also never felt pressured into anything and always felt informed about all of my decisions. They have great seasonal specials on fillers, etc!
May 4, 2021
I recently relocated from CA. I was nervous to find a new place for lip fillers after going to the same person for several years. Tonya was absolutely amazing! She is extremely knowledgeable and instantly made me feel comfortable. Tonya exceeded my expectations. I’ve received so many compliments from friends and family. The entire staff were friendly and professional. I will definitely become a loyal client. Thank you Tonya and team!!!
May 4, 2021
How amazing! I can’t believe what Tonya has done for me! She took excellent care of me! My first time ever for Botox and Lip Filler. I’m 58 feeling like 30 again! Everyone deserves this! I will be back! My crows are gone. My lipstick goes on smooth with no bleeds. You are totally amazing Tonya! Thank you again ! Tonya was so professional and went over everything in detail with me! Totally amazing place! Treat yourself! We all deserve to look great and feel great! ❤️
April 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Getting botox at Sandia Skin & Face was the best decision I've ever made. No more lines on my forehead 🙂
September 4, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality Easy to book online. Seamless appointment and did not feel rushed. Tonya explained thoroughly and made sure i had the best results for botox and minimizing my frown line. Highly recommend!
September 20, 2021
Positive: Cleanliness , Professionalism , Punctuality , Quality , Value Dr. Tonya Tuggle is a true professional and such a nice person. I highly recommend her and Sandia Skin.
September 13, 2021
Tonya is amazing!! She made me feel so comfortable and really listened to my concerns about my skin. She really cares and knows what she is doing. I wouldn’t go anywhere else!! I was concerned my first appointment but I just had my third and I can say it’s so worth it!!! Botox has been an incredible experience and I’m so happy to have tried it, I’m so much happier with my appearance and it looks incredibly natural. I’ve included before and after photos, neither photo is filtered or edited, you can see how makeup would collect in my forehead, and how the after it’s smooth and looks so lovely. It doesn’t feel weird or like I can’t move my muscles at all, it feels super natural. One of my biggest concerns was that I wouldn’t be able to emote with Botox but that’s just not true at all. I feel so confident and that is thanks to Tonya!
September 13, 2021
CHIN WRINKLES PROCEDURE PREP
Before your treatment session, our specialist will discuss what to expect during your treatment. However, it is helpful to remember that there are a few things to take into consideration before your session:
- At least three to four days before your procedure, discontinue anti-inflammatory medications.
- One to two weeks before your procedure, discontinue any blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins.
- One to two weeks before your procedure, discontinue systematic steroids
- At least one month before your procedure, stop steroid injections
- On the day of your procedure, eat a full, healthy breakfast and be sure to drink plenty of water
- Please be advised that if you take chronic oral steroids, a discontinuation plan will need to be discussed with your primary care provider as abrupt stoppage may cause side effects.
CHIN WRINKLES AFTERCARE
After your treatment session, we recommend that all patients rest on the day of their procedure. We advise limited use of the treatment area for the next two days, but some movement is encouraged. Limited use helps the joint recover as the treatment is absorbed by the area’s surrounding tissues.
0 – 3 days post-procedure guidelines.
- After your treatment, there is a chance you’ll experience some mild to moderate pain or discomfort at the treatment site. Discomfort is normal, and it is a sign that your body is healing as it adjusts to the treatment.
- It is best to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water to help promote healing.
- You mustn’t take ANY medications following your procedure unless specifically directed otherwise by a physician. NO medicine is a must because any drug can affect the healing process or other adverse effects.
Therefore, discontinue use of any of these medications post-procedure for best results:
- Anti-inflammatory medications for at least two weeks post-procedure
- Blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins for 3-4 days post-procedure
- Systematic steroids for two weeks post-procedure
- Other important guidelines to follow after your procedure are:
- Avoid applying ice or heat to the injection site for the first 72 hours post-procedure
- Don’t take a hot bath or go to a sauna for the first few days post-procedure
- Avoid consumption of any alcoholic beverages for the first week post-procedure
- Avoid showering for the first 24 hours following your procedure
- Limit caffeine consumption for the first week post-procedure
- Avoid smoking
3 – 14 days post-procedure guidelines.
- At this point in your healing, you should gradually increase your daily activities
- 3 to 14 days is also when you can begin exercises. Proper exercise is a vital part of long-term results, and we can help you determine which exercises are best suited for your needs before your procedure.
- Ice can be applied 3-4 times a day for 15-20 minutes as needed for comfort
- Anti-inflammatory medications (such as Tylenol) can be taken to help manage any residual pain at this time, take as directed
- Continue to avoid alcoholic beverages, smoking, or excessive amounts of caffeine
3 – 4 weeks post-procedure guidelines.
- We highly encourage you to begin physical therapy to aid in your long-term healing and continued recovery at this point in your healing.
- A follow-up appointment will be made for you to meet with our physician to review your healing process. You must keep this follow-up visit even if your recovery is going well.
- If there are any adjustments to your customized treatment plan, this is when our physician will be able to make those decisions
Registered Nurse Practitioner Tonya Tuggle is Albuquerque’s choice for those who want to keep their youthful appearance and healthy glow. Tonya is passionate about educating patients on preventative skin care and providing non-surgical maintenance for graceful aging. We can’t wait to meet you!